Sunday, February 25, 2007

Back From Snowball Criterium #1

We just returned from the Snowball Criterium #1. The race wasn't held because of impending rain. Apparently the promoter wanted to be remembered for backing out of holding the event, instead of how they thought riders would feel if the event was held and they "had to ride" in the rain. I would only predict a break between the hardcore purest-type crit riders and the not-so-hardy other riders. I sense fear of injury lawsuits, but that's just me.

One of the guys I was with, who is experienced with this kind of road cycle racing, said he was shocked it would be postponed due to weather. According to him, a race like this is postponed or cancelled only due to unusually dangerous conditions, for instance sleet and ice on the road.

Anyhow, the four of us returned trying to get our psyches to relax having steeled ourselves for the race intensities into which we knew we were about to be immersed.
The re-scheduled race will be held at the same place in Chesapeake on Sunday, April 29th. I'll continue training, stay signed up for that crit, and look for time trials to enter.

For those of you who are not familiar with the different types of road cycle races, a criterium is an all-out road race on a closed circuit, usually around a few city blocks, anywhere from 15 to 25 miles long in total distance(ours would have been 15 miles). Riders, in this case fifty, make turns as sharp as 90-degrees, often making body contact with riders beside them, and sprinting out of the corners getting quickly back to race tempo. They are known for their speed,high intensity, and crashes. I am told criteriums are an American creation in road cycle racing. Sounds just like us doesn't it? Kind of like football or hockey at 25 to 30 miles-per-hour.

Will keep you posted on my first season of bike racing and offer more musings of a lifetime sports tourist.

2 comments:

Strayhorn said...

They backed out due to rain?

Jeeze, what wussies. We rode that marathon in the rain & wind and the only thing I worried about was getting water and grit in the bearings.

KYScoast said...

Tommy,
They backed out due to impending rain. It might have been best for me cause I wasn't gonna ride my first crit in the rain anyway. But I did feel like it was kinda weird for the experienced riders and pros.

I'll get in the next one I suppose. Make well that hammy. I'll fight you later.