Friday, January 1, 2010

The Winter Cycling 25---What I Wore Today

Today I was late and in a hurry to get to a New Year's Day group ride with our club riders. It felt like it took me so long to dress and leave. This always happens when in a hurry to do almost anything. My sensibilities are heightened. If surfing today, I'd be struggling into my wetsuit. In this case though, I was struggling getting out the door for the ride and there was more to wear.

When I returned I decided to study what was behind the delay leaving the house. I went into the bathroom to shower and began stripping. I had already taken off my helmet, under-helmet cap, road glasses, shoe covers, shoes, wind-breaker/Thinsulated vest, winter cycling jersey, gloves, and watch. I was now up to eleven items, apparel and accessories.

I continued this sort of obsessive look into just how far I was into this sport I really do love. But from time to time I do need a self audit.

I peeled off the two socks on each foot, the pair of arm warmers, the club cycling jersey, the club bib shorts, a pair of leg warmers, an Underarmor Cold Gear jersey, a pair of thigh-length, compression leggings, and a heart monitor: 25 things put on---25 items taken off. I stood alone shivering before the shower I surely earned. There was nothing left to take off. I felt like the master of nothing but I remain somehow willing to wear it all again tomorrow so I can ride.

It will be about 9 degrees colder tomorrow with a northwest wind blowing 25 to 35 mph. I love this sport.

Happy New Year y'all.

3 comments:

obxcycling.com said...

Way Too Vivid!


Happy New year and here's to a prosperous 2010 with tons of miles!

Jay

Anonymous said...

Glad I'm a runner.
25 pieces of clothing?
Yikes

-R said...

This is so true! I've watched Hugh pile on layer over layer with patience for the sport he loves! Very funny and a bit revealing... so much for the simple life!